Hide My WP
Hide My WP plugin is used to conceal the underlying structure and files of a WordPress website from potential attackers. By hiding the fact that a website is built on WordPress, the plugin aims to make it more difficult for hackers to exploit known vulnerabilities in the platform. HideMyWP not only masks your WordPress presence but also enhances your website’s performance.
One of the key features of Hide My WP is its ability to change the default URLs of WordPress pages and files. For example, the plugin can change the URL of the login page from “wp-login.php” to something more secure and less predictable. This can make it more difficult for an attacker to guess or brute force their way into the website’s admin area.
The plugin also includes a number of other security enhancements, such as blocking access to sensitive files and directories, and disguising the WordPress version number. This can make it more difficult for attackers to identify the specific vulnerabilities.
It’s important to note that Hide My WP alone is not a complete security solution for your website and should be used in conjunction with other security measures such as a web application firewall, regular backups, and strong passwords. As the plugin name suggest it’s hiding the fact that the website is built on wordpress, however, it’s not securing it from all possible ways of hacking.
Please note that the initial setup wizard may not work correctly in GPL version.
Hide My WP Main Features
- URL rewriting. Change the default URLs of WordPress pages and files, such as the login page. Make them more secure and less predictable.
- File and directory protection. Block access to sensitive files and directories to prevent unauthorized access.
- Version hiding. The plugin can disguise the WordPress version number to make it more difficult for attackers to identify specific vulnerabilities.
- Security headers. Hide My WP can add security headers to HTTP responses, which can help to protect against certain types of attacks.
- Custom login and registration: HideMyWP allows for customizing the login and registration pages to match your website design and/or hide them.
- Caching: The plugin can cache pages and posts to improve the performance of the website.
- Gzip compression: The plugin can use Gzip compression to reduce the size of files sent over the network.
- Lazy loading images: The plugin can disable loading of images on unwanted area of website to improve performance. Disable duplicate option in other tools like WP Rocket.
- Hiding of common WordPress files: Hide My WP can hide common WordPress files like readme.html, license.txt, wp-config-sample.php and others to prevent them from being accessed.
- Completely block REST API or restrict access.
- Customizing the WordPress Admin panel in many ways:
- Default WordPress theme and plugin URLs.
- WordPress theme and plugin path.
- The default WordPress theme and plugin names.
- WordPress theme and plugin description.
Additionally, HideMyWP provides some performance optimization features, like caching, minify css/js and html, Gzip Compression and even lazy loading images by disabling the loading of images on unwanted areas of the website. Keep in mind that some caching plugins, like W3 Total Cache, also include features to minify and compress assets. We recommend you check and disable those features in W3 Cache in order to avoid any conflicts.
You can use a caching plugin simultaneously with Hide My WP on your WordPress website. In fact, using a caching plugin alongside HideMyWP can help to improve the performance of your website by reducing the load on your server and delivering pages and posts more quickly to your visitors.
It’s important to test your website after activating both plugins to ensure that there are no conflicts or errors. If you do encounter any issues, it may be necessary to make some adjustments to the settings of one or both of the plugins. In some cases disable one of the plugins.
It’s always good to have a backup of your website before making changes, in case you need to restore it. In general, using both Hide My WP and a caching plugin together can be a powerful combination. It can help to improve the security and performance of your WordPress website.
Additional Tips and Compatibility
Hide My WP is not a standalone security solution. Use it in conjunction with a robust firewall, regular backups, and strong passwords. Also, the initial setup wizard may not function as expected in the GPL version.
If you’re already using performance plugins like W3 Cache or WP Rocket, ensure you disable overlapping features to prevent conflicts. The same goes for security plugins like Wordfence or iThemes Security.